What is a TLDR?
Usually stylized as tl;dr, “too long; didn’t read” is a common internet synonym for a quick summary.
Is this TLDR for me?
Yes. This TLDR gives a ground-up understanding of the history of Warcraft to anyone, player or not, new or returning.
Do I have to read it in order?
No. Whenever you hover on a recurring story element, a tooltip would show up with a brief recap. E.g. Illidan, Pantheon, Lordaeron.
Is this TLDR up to date?
Some details are outdated or missing due to the WoW: Chronicle retcon, but the general structure is intact and will still give you a solid understanding of the Warcraft story.
Is this TLDR inclusive?
Due to Warcraft’s universe status, it is difficult to determine which storylines are more relevant to the central story than others. The choices I made in this regard are to be revised at the Chronicle update.
What are future plans?
WoW Lore TLDR will continue to expand as long as it is supported by its readers. Below are a few short-term goals.
- The Story section filters will be expanded to include factions, and a relevance slider for all entries (story arcs/characters/factions) ranging from “core” to “irrelevant”.
I assume some completionists might wanna know about Zaeta’s love affair with Theradras.
- In the future, additional sections will be added to present lore in brand new formats (literary, visual and statistical).
- The release dates for the Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne & WoW expansion TLDRs are yet to be determined.
How do I contribute?
By supporting my campaign on Patreon, we can achieve these goals:
- At $0, WoW lore TLDR will remain ad-free.
- At $45, the website will withstand any amount of traffic while maintaining its Google rank thanks to an adequate server.
- At $65+, new features will come out in less time and at a higher quality (using high end web tools & plugins).
- At $100+, I will hire specialized freelancers to speed up the development of new sections that present lore in unprecedented formats; literary, visual and statistical.
- At $500+, the development speed of new sections will be dramatically increased and WoW Lore TLDR would soon become the internet’s bible of Warcraft lore.
Your suggestions and feedback are of utmost importance! Share them in the development forum.
For interested web developers, kindly contact me via Patreon or any of the three social channels featured below.
Contact & Credits
WoW Lore TLDR was created by Sinan M. Diraneyya, a Warcraft devotee, artist and Cisco technician from Jordan. For contact:
The lore featured here was originally paraphrased from the official History of Warcraft (2004) and WoWpedia’s unofficial timeline, and is being adjusted to comply with the retcon of World of Warcraft: Chronicle (2017).
World of Warcraft® is a registered trademark of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. This website is not affiliated with Blizzard.
Artwork ©2001 – 2017 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc and is featured under fair use policy. All rights reserved. Sources include: World of Warcraft: Chronicle 1 and 2, Hearthstone, the Warcraft TCG, Blizzard.com and the World of Warcraft games.
Gul’dan by DeVmarine on deviantArt.