Contributor Recruitment & Guidelines

• February 6, 2018 at 10:24 am #1972
    Sinan
    Keymaster

Hello, fellow lorewalkers! For those of you who are interested in becoming part of WoW Lore TLDR’s family (consisting only of me as of now) and leaving a footprint before it grows big, you’re most welcome to advertise your skills here. Scroll down for some insights into the way text contribution works.

Becoming a contributor

What skills does the site require?

The most needed skills are editing and web development. The Story page content has numerous typos and grammatical errors, but more notable than that is the fact that I am not a native English speaker. A native editor would do us a favor by revising my weaker sentences wherever found. As for web development, the website is currently composed of WP plugins and a few JQuery codes barely put up together to carry out their respective functions, and it mostly lacks optimizations. Good advice could go a long way down that road.

Aside from these big two, you’re more than free to present any skill you think is viable. For instance, the Interactive Atlas is based off artwork made by deviantArt user sub-thermal, after his permission, of course.

What’s in it for me?

As of this thread’s submission date, I can’t provide anything to contributors other than credit for their works, beside the experience, sense of accomplishment and whatever fun they derive from being part of this website. And of course, there will be the long term relationship that we forge together.

How to become a contributor?

There are no specific rules. If you are interested in contributing, simply advertise for yourself in a comment. State the skills you’re interested in offering and any relevant information such as how serious or casual your approach is, and how we could get in touch (or you could just hit me up on Discord, where I’m mostly available).

Contribution Guidelines

Where does the editing occur?

If you are a volunteer editor, my suggestion would be to do our editing on Google Docs. I would copy the HTML-encapsulated body of a certain chapter to a document and we would start editing it together.

The upside of using Google Docs is its real time collaboration feature, which allows any editor to dynamically start and stop editing at any point in time or the document itself without creating conflicts with other editors.

The main downside of using Google Docs is that it does not highlight HTML code, which makes things a nuisance whether you edit the content in its original code or make the required text/code conversions.

Another solution would be to copy content to Notepad++ and choose language: HTML, but we would lose real time collaboration that way.

If you have got any better suggestions, do not hesitate to share them.

Do I need to know any HTML in order to edit?

No. HTML tags might be overwhelming at first, and a few of them look quite confusing. However, your job does not really require you to do any editing of these tags. As long as you focus on editing the text within, you are fine. I will also give you a quick introduction to familiarize you with any that you don’t know.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.